DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – The AAA Roadside Rescue team recently aided thousands of motorists, many unable to start their vehicles due to cold weather problems.
With more subzero weather in the forecast, AAA offers these important tips to help keep you from being stranded and how to get service faster.
Winter Car Care Tips
– If your vehicle has not been driven in the past day or two, before the frigid temperatures arrive, start your vehicle, let it warm up for several minutes and drive it for a few miles. Don’t just run it for a couple of minutes and shut it off without driving it because you will end up depleting the cranking power of the battery. If possible have the battery tested by a trained technician.
– Keep your gas tank at least half full to provide extra “running time” if you get stranded.
– Start vehicle and let it warm up a few minutes before driving to allow fluids (oil, transmission fluid, etc.) to warm up.
- Be sure to have the proper amount of antifreeze in your vehicle to prevent engine block freezing. Also be sure to check your entire cooling system, including hoses, belts, thermostat and radiator.
Two Faster Ways to Request Roadside Assistance
Either option below bypasses the time spent on the phone and will help start your service process faster.
– You can request roadside assistance via our website, AAA.com/ERS.
– Android and iPhone users can download AAA Mobile, a smartphone app that lets you request help without making a phone call. The AAA Mobile App transmits your information, and your GPS location directly to AAA Roadside Assistance. Visit AAA.com/Mobile.