These brutally cold temperatures can be very dangerous.
You need to protect yourself inside and outside your home.
When you’re outdoors, frostbite can set in on exposed skin in less than 10 minutes.
Everyone is at risk but particularly vulnerable are, young children, the elderly and the chronically ill. Symptoms include loss of feeling and a white or pale appearance in fingers, toes, ear tips and tips of the nose.
Hypothermia is another hazard. Symptoms include shivering, exhaustion, confusions, memory loss, slurred speech and drowsiness in adults and children. In infants, symptoms can include bright red or cold skin and very low energy.
You can stay safe in the deep freeze by dressing in layers, limiting exposure outside to less than 10 minutes (that goes for your pets too).
Also, carbon monoxide risks increase in the winter because of the use of alternate heating sources.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States.
Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors in central locations on every level of your home and near sleeping areas.