RIVERSIDE, Ohio (WDTN) – Two people were injured in an apartment fire in Riverside Friday night, including a firefighter.
Crews were called to the 4100 block of Jenera Lane just before 8:00 p.m.
Riverside Fire Chief, Joseph Greil said the fire started when a person inside one unit was cooking with grease, and left the stove unattended.
Investigators say one unit of an eight unit apartment building had extensive damage.
Chief Greil said there were only people home inside three units– they had to be evacuated, and the power to their apartments was turned off.
The victim suffered severe burn injuries and was taken to Miami Valley Hospital.
A firefighter hurt his shoulder while battling the flames, but Chief Greil said his injuries were minor.
Because of the cold temperatures, Riverside firefighters called for assistance from other departments.
“When it’s cold like this you’ve got more slip and fall hazards with the ice. Especially with the snow we’ve had, to get through the walks that aren’t shoveled and through the snow banks– you move slower, more cautious, and you rotate the crews more often,” said Chief Greil.
Fire officials were still determining if the people living in the eight apartment units would be allowed back into their homes tonight.