Dayton family burned out of their home

Dayton house fire
Fire forced a Dayton family from their home, Feb. 27, 2014. (WDTN Photo)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – It appears a discarded cigarette is to blame for an overnight fire in Dayton.

Investigators told 2 NEWS the house in the 900 block of Burleigh Avenue is a total loss.

The family that lives there told firefighters they discovered flames and smoke just after 11 p.m. Thursday, about 90 minutes after one of them finished smoking a cigarette.

Everyone was able to get out of the house OK.

One firefighter suffered a slight injury after slipping on some ice.

The family is staying with relatives until repairs are made. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus