Skittles sicken two in Richmond

A man holds up a bag of Skittles candy. (AP Photo/Jaime Henry-White)
A man holds up a bag of Skittles candy. (AP Photo/Jaime Henry-White)

RICHMOND, Ind. (WDTN/AP) – The Indiana State Health Department is checking out a package of contaminated Skittles candy sold at a Richmond gas station.

The health department says two people became ill after eating the candy from one package.

They bought it from the Marathon Food Mart on West National Road on Tuesday.

The victims were treated for burning throats, cramping and diarrhea.

State Health Department spokeswoman Amy Reel said Wednesday night that preliminary tests showed the candy sold contained “unconfirmed chemical substances.”

Reel says investigators don’t know if the package of candy was tampered with and more will be known when laboratory test results come back within days.

Authorities are advising people who purchased Skittles with the lot numbers 08JUL14 023 or 01DEC14 023 not to consume the candy but to set it aside for retrieval by Indiana State Police.

A spokeswoman for Skittles producer William Wrigley Jr. Co. said it’s investigating the matter.

blog comments powered by Disqus