Health officials: Skittles not toxic, safe to eat

RICHMOND, Ind. (WDTN) – The Indiana Department of Health found nothing harmful inside a suspect bag of Skittles candy.

Tests came back Thursday night to the State Department of Health Laboratory that indicate ‘no unusual chemical substances’ were found in the candy.

Two people reported getting sick Tuesday after eating a bag of the candy they bought from a Marathon gas station in Richmond.

The Indiana State Police started an investigation after a field test showed the candy had the presence of unusual chemical substances.

The health department says it is not unusual for field tests to be different from lab tests.

State police have closed the case as no toxins were found. There will be no further criminal investigation, but the Indiana Health Department will continue to investigate why the two people got sick.  They say the candy is safe to eat. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s