Teen convicted of felonious assault involving police

Lance Dyer convicted of felonious assault in Montgomery County. (WDTN Photo)
Lance Dyer convicted of felonious assault in Montgomery County. (WDTN Photo)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – A 17-year-old boy shot in the hand by police was found guilty Wednesday.

Lance Dyer was shot during a short car chase that ended on Stolz Avenue in Dayton last year.

Police say when he got out of a stolen vehicle, he was holding a gun. He was ordered to drop the weapon and he refused.

He was found guilty of felonious assault and carrying a weapon under disability.

“We felt he was coming home. I feel like they looked at him and the man in the uniform had too much evidence, too much proof he didn’t do things they said,” said Nakeanna Brookshire, Dyer’s sister.

“The defendant got out of a car with a gun and attempted to run and pointed at officer who acted in defense of his life. He shot one time and diminished the threat,” said Julie Bruns, Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor.

Prosecutor Bruns says Lance Dyer is facing a potential minimum of six years for felonious assault and up to 14 with firearms specification and an additional one to five years on having a weapon under disability charge.

Sentencing is set for April 30.


WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus