Brookville fire across the street from Thursday’s fire

Brookville firefighters were called to a structure fire at 109 Market Street, April 25, 2014. (WDTN Photo/Jamar Black)
Brookville firefighters were called to structure fire at 109 Market Street, April 25, 2014. (WDTN Photo/Jamar Black)

BROOKVILLE, Ohio (WDTN) – Brookville firefighters were called to structure fire at 109 Market Street Friday morning.

The fire broke out in the basement of New Vision Signs & Graphics. It is directly across the street from Booher Insurance Agency, which caught on fire Thursday evening.

Owner Larry Mills was in the building at the time of the fire and suffered relatively minor injuries.

“I started smelling smoke. By the time, I got to the upstairs well way, I couldn’t even see my hand in front of my face,” said Mills.

Although Mills struggled, he was able to dial 9-1-1, then later fell down the stairs and crawled out to safety.

But he said it took crews at least 10 minutes to get to the scene, despite being a half block away.

Officials said it was a difficult blaze to battle.

“Initially when we got here all we had was residual smoke that was pushing through the first floor into the second floor. Crews had to make entry through the front, it was the quickest way to get to the basement steps to get into the basement to find the fire,” said Lt. Daniel Wolfe of the Brookville Fire Department.

Despite help from Trootwood and Phillipsburg crews,  firefighters still struggled, given the size of the building and the location of the fire.

No cause has been determined, although a furnace in the basement may solve that mystery.

Meanwhile, Mills is grateful that no injuries or deaths happened from what could have been two fatal fires.

“Oh it’s extremely odd… I— I extremely odd. I’ve been here 9 years doing my signs and graphics. Never any hint of any problems with the building. I’m at a loss,” said the designer.

Given the damage, Mills said orders will be on the back burner.

2 News also followed up with Booher Insurance Agency and it’s now open for business.

Owner Kim Booher told 2 News a boiler or faulty knob and tube wiring may be to blame for Thursday’s fire. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s