GERMANTOWN, Ohio (WDTN) – Mother Nature made her fiery presence known to the Epperson family at 8:30 Monday morning. That’s because lightning hit the house at 7440 Weaver Road in Germantown.
Tom Epperson said he and his wife heard a loud boom and saw a bright flash and breaking glass coming in. The Eppersons say the hit shook the entire house. Tom’s wife told him the attic was on fire and they quickly shut off electric power to the home.
“It was definitely a lightning strike,” Tom said.
This is the second time the Epperson home has had a lightning sparked fire. In 1985, lightning hit a telephone pole and set fire to the house.
At about the same time Monday morning, in the Village of Carlisle, firefighters had to knock out smoke and flames in the 100 block of Nikki Court.
Lois Eldridge was worried about her neighbors across the street after a fire broke out in their attic. By the time the units got to the scene, the roof was fully involved. The homeowners heard a popping noise and got their two children out safely. The family cat has still still not been found and the house has been destroyed.
Carlisle Police Chief Dan Alldred said there are no smoke detectors in attics because they freeze in the winter, so an attic can burn undetected for quite a while.
So far, there is no cause, but the house is destroyed.