DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) - Unfortunately, shooting incidents at military installations are not unusual.
Gunmen opened fire most recently at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth, Virginia and Fort Hood, Texas.
Employees and visitors at the Dayton VA were quickly evacuated after the shooting, but they must now deal with the trauma of such an incident.
At the time of the Fort Lejeune incident, the Eastern NC Region of the American Red Cross offered this advice about dealing with stressful and traumatic situations:
• Take care of themselves. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water and get enough rest.
• Be patient with themselves and others. It is common to have any number of temporary stress reactions such as anger, frustration and anxiety.
• This is a time where people should take care of themselves and their families. For example, reach out to others to offer and receive support.
• Parents should let children talk about their fears and then reassure them about their safety.
• People should be careful not to overexpose themselves to media reports about the tragedy.