Stepped up security following shooting at VA hospital

VA Center shooting
Police respond to the report of a shooting at the Dayton VA Center, May 5, 2014. (WDTN Photo/Neil Black)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN)- As police step up their patrols at the VA Medical Center after a shooting, the motive behind it is revealed.

Former employee Neil Moore faced a judge on federal charges today.

Documents in that case reveal he was there to defend the honor of his wife and daughter who also work there.

He says he never meant to shoot anyone, just threaten two workers who he believed were having an inappropriate relationship with his family members.

The shooting happened after noon Monday in a basement break room of the medical building at the VA Medical Center.

Paul Burnside was shot in the ankle during a struggle.

Following the gunfire, Moore showed up at Good Samaritan hospital seeking psychiatric help before being arrested and hauled off to jail.

2 NEWS is asking questions about the security measures in place.We’ve learned that the suspected gunman didn’t need an ID card to enter the building where the shooting took place.

VA officials also tell us there are no metal detectors.

Officials say there are armed police on campus 24 hours a day.

“On a normal day, we have the chief of police.  We have one captain and we have two police officers.  Now, during the shooting situation, 6 additional officers from the staff arrived on campus to assist with the search investigation, and eventually the apprehension.  In addition to, we had local FBI forces, Dayton Police,” says VA spokesperson Ted Froats.

Froats says campus police train quarterly for active shooter situations.

“Last year we had an annual review of our security forces.  The determination was that their training was highly satisfactory, was actually the official categorization,” explains Froats.

Within 10 minutes of the shooting, Froats says employees were alerted three different ways.

“The first is a public broadcast system which airs over the entire campus, not just our main facility, let them know there was an active shooter situation, they need to lock-down in their current location and that’s mainly for employees and when employees see veterans walking by, pull them into your location,” he comments.

An e-mail blast was also sent to all employees.

In addition, more than 500 employees received a text alert, this is an optional notification system.

Police also went door to door checking on people and informing them of the shooting.

Froats says the security procedures and policies are being reviewed.

“The initial review shows that everyone did their job.  I’m talking everyone, from our police forces, local law enforcement and just our regular staff and even the veterans acted calmly, understood the situation immediately and acted appropriately,” explains Froats.

VA officials tell me they are already working on plans to update their security camera systems and expand that text messaging service to include non-employees on campus. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s