Fire ruled accidental in Dayton

Attic fire in Dayton
Attic fire in Dayton

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — Dayton firefighters said flames appear to be accidental in nature after a homeowner called for help twice Friday night.

At 8:51 p.m. Dayton Fire crews were dispatched to reports of a kitchen fire that spread into the attic of a home in the 600 block of Willow Springs Drive in Dayton. Regional Dispatch confirms that a call was made to the same address at 6:04 p.m., on reports of a stove on fire.

According to officials on scene, the woman who lived there, who has Alzheimer’s, was using the wrong burner on the stove, which started the fire.It’s being ruled as accidental.

The home is not livable at this time. The woman does have people to stay with, so Red Cross was not called in.  Early estimates put the damage at, “a couple thousand dollars,” according to fire investigators.

Officials on scene also say that this is being investigated as a possible rekindle. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus