Officials warn mosquito season starting, precaution is key

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN)- Friday’s rainy, humid weather was perfect ground for one predator looking to attack.

It’s mosquito season, and officials said people need to protect themselves from dangerous diseases.

Beairshelle Edmé asked experts how serious these mosquito bites can be for residents across the Miami Valley.

They said it’s breeding season for mosquitoes and all the elements are right.

If it is 70 degrees or higher and there are spring storms and rainy weather, mosquitoes will flock to those areas where stagnant water forms.

John Steele with Public Health – Dayton & Montgomery County noted that when those conditions are present eggs will be laid creating an even higher threat.

The Public Health Department conducts several exams to determine how infectious the bugs and while there haven’t been any alarming record yet, they expect some mosquitoes to carry dangerous viruses to the Miami Valley.

“A couple of years ago here in Montgomery County we had quite a number of mosquitos that tested positive for West Nile (virus), as a matter a fact, it was about one-third of all the mosquitoes that we trapped tested positive. Considering it only takes one bite, and typically you get more than one mosquito bite, to get infected. It can be a big problem,” said Steele.

Statistics show that 80 percent of those bitten will not get any symptoms or suffer from any severe illness; however, the other 20 percent will get flu-like symptoms.

While those odds are the norm, there are rare cases where people develop serious illnesses such as the West Nile virus, Malaria, St. Louis & LaCrosse Encephalitis, Filariasis, Yellow Fever, Dengue and Chikungunya virus, which has recently emerged across the world.

“Well, it is just a bug bite and it’s hard to avoid mosquito bites in general, but there certain things that you can do. You want to use repellents when you go outside. And you want to use something that’s EPA registered,” said Steele.

In addition to those precautions, you can also make sure you do not have standing water lying around.

Pools, vases, bird baths and even sinks are all prime areas were mosquitoes will breed and bite.

Wear longer clothing when from dusk to dawn, which is when mosquitoes are most prevalent.

If you are in an area, such as the woods, ponds and/or marshes, consider using a net because the bugs are most active in these environments. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s