Firefighter suffers ax injury at fire scene

Fire at factory on Hanover Avenue. (WDTN Photo)
Fire at factory on Hanover Avenue. (WDTN Photo)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – A Dayton firefighter suffered minor injuries while battling a fire at a Dayton factory.

Firefighters arrived at the Electro Polish Factory at 529 Hunter Avenue just before midnight.

They say they arrived to find smoke and fire in a back storage room.

They quickly put the flames out, but were concerned nitric acid fumes could be in the air.

“Our concern is if the nitric acid was involved it could release some poisonous gas, off gas so to speak. So, we’re going to let it ventilate a little bit, before we’re going in, let the investigator go in,” said District Chief Scott Rowlett, Dayton Fire Department.

The injured firefighter was treated and released taken to the hospital for an ax injury to his hand.  He was back on the job Monday.

Damage is estimated at $15,000 and appears to be accidental in nature. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus