SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (WDTN) – One Springfield family had a serious scare Tuesday morning after they found a snake inside their shed.
The Evans family reached out to 2 NEWS with their fears about the snake hiding near their home, so we decided to do some digging with the experts.
“I seen this out there it was rattling its tail at us and trying to strike probably 20 minutes of that and then finally it started to try to attack, so we ended up having to put it down,” recounted Thomas Evans
The father says despite having killed the snake, he was still was scarred there may be more out there or presumably that it was a rattlesnake with venom.
Our Beairshelle Edmé followed up with snake expert and biologist Doug Wynn; after viewing a photo, he says it was a rather common reptile, an adult milk snake, not a rattle snake, which is more dangerous and often mistaken for more every day snakes.
But despite that he says milk snakes can still cause injuries.
“They will bite, most often they’ll bite. Sometimes when they bite, they chew on you. They are not venomous,” said the biologist.
Wynn also told 2 NEWS that milk snakes often live in more grassy areas, like the one found in the Evans’ shed.
And despite not being a rattlesnake, this family did have reason for concern; Wynn says if bitten by a milk snake, you can get a serious infection.
So, if you find a problem like this or any issue, be sure to tell us about it here at WDTN.com.