HUBER HEIGHTS, Ohio (WDTN) – Firefighters say a smoke detector likely alerted a family that their house was on fire.
Crews were called to the home in the 7000 block of Charlesworth Drive around 3:30 a.m. Thursday. When they arrived, a mother and her two young children were in the yard.
The battalion chief tells 2 NEWS all three suffered minor smoke inhalation.
The mother told firefighters she woke up and smelled the smoke. She wasn’t sure what woke her up, but Battalion Chief Kevin Foley believes it was the smoke alarm. He says it was still going off when firefighters entered the house.
“I think that this sends a good message out to your audience. Smoke detectors save lives. If you don’t have them, get them. If you do have them, maintain them with a fresh battery on an annual basis,” Foley said.
There was some confusion about the whereabouts of the woman’s mother. The family thought she was trapped inside, but firefighters learned she was not there. They were able to locate her and make contact with her.
The fire was contained to the kitchen. Foley says unattended cooking is to blame.