Teen: “I realized that my garage had just blown up”

(WDTN photo)
(WDTN photo)

HUBER HEIGHTS, Ohio (WDTN) – A Huber Heights family escaped their home early Thursday morning after hearing explosions in the garage.

Conner Teague, 14, tells 2 NEWS he was awakened by a neighbor banging on the door around 1:30 a.m. At first, he thought he was still dreaming.

Teague says he grabbed his lizard Bob and the family’s two dogs and got out.

“I realized that my garage had just blown up and… I just took off running,” he said. Teague’s sister and mother also got out of the house safely.

Teague says the family keeps gas cans in the garage. There were also personal items including photo albums in there.

Firefighters say the garage door was down, which kept the flames from spreading to the house, although there is some smoke damage to the home. Crews quickly put the fire out.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.

Battalion Chief Michael Muhl says if you are going to keep flammable items in your garage, make sure they are properly stored. He says they should be kept in a container and in a place where they won’t be knocked over. He suggests a metal storage cabinet.

Firefighters have not determined the cause of the fire.

blog comments powered by Disqus