DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – A child is accused of burning a playmate when she tossed hot water on the girl’s back.
The investigating officer talked with the victim as she was being treated at the hospital.
The 8-year-old girl, Harlee Johnson, told police she was playing in the yard of her Forest Avenue home with her brother and her next door neighbor.
In a police report, the victim said her friend got mad when she got wet during a water fight, so she went inside, heated up a cup of water in the microwave, then returned to toss it on her.
2 NEWS’ Beairshelle Edmé was invited into the family’s home, where the victim also recounted her story to us.
Johnson said that, “I was playing around with her and my brother came out with uh um-.”
Lost for the words, Johnson asked her step mother, “What is it called?” To which Tammy Bell said, “pitcher.”
Johnson continued her story and said, “– a pitcher and um she– he poured it on her head and she put a cup in a microwave and put it in for four minutes and she was go after my sister, but she um went after me,” said the flustered child wearing an over-sized T-shirt, the only piece of clothing that did not agitate her wounds.
The child suffered 1st and 2nd degree burns; her backside was covered in bandages, as the blisters begin to peel off.
Step-mother Tammy Bell was inside when it unfolded.
“She was against the door and I seen her and I heard this bloodcurdling scream (pauses) and then I went to the hospital,” the teary-eyed mom said choking on her words.
Bell took off the girls clothes and skin peeled off as well.
2 NEWS went to the home of Johnson’s friend; the child’s mom did not want to be on camera, but did speak with our reporter about what her daughter did.
She asked, “Do you know why she decided to do something like that?”
The mom said, “I asked her did she know that it would her and she said she didn’t know– she didn’t think it would hurt her to go to the hospital.”
The woman said the two girls have had petty arguments before, but nothing like the recent incident.
The child that through the water has since been disciplined according to her mother, “I explain to her that that was wrong and I made her apologize to the baby and I felt really bad like I said my daughter didn’t realize that it would hurt her that way.”
Despite the apology, Johnson’s step mother is upset.
“I’m mad because this happened to my daughter. No kid should go through this,”said Bell. “Yeah, I’m mad about that but I can’t be mad because it’s a 7-year-old kid and I don’t know–kids are kids.”
The child will have to see a burn specialist to heal her wounds.
As Monday afternoon, Johnson told 2 NEWS she’s feeling okay and hopes to get back to playing outdoors.
No charges have been filed against the neighboring friend; she is home with her family.