All clear at Dayton building after odor, no leak

Gas leak on First Street in downtown Dayton. (WDTN Photo/Josh Ames)
Gas leak on First Street in downtown Dayton. (WDTN Photo/Josh Ames)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – A downtown Dayton building was evacuated just before 11:00 a.m. Thursday after the report of a gas leak.

The all clear was given around noon at the building at 405 West First Street near Perry Street.

Fire crews say two people who work in the building reported getting light headed after smelling the strange odor.

They are fine and were not transported to the hospital.

Crews investigated and found nothing harmful in the building.  The fire chief says better safe than sorry.

“If you smell an unusual odor, get the business evacuated,” said Fire Chief Jeff Payne.  “It’s a misnomer that people can smell something like carbon monoxide.  You don’t.  If you smell an odor, the only way to be sure, is to call 911 for help.”

About 10 people work in the business.  There are two businesses inside.  The building is back open.

 

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s