UNDATED (AP) – Accidental poisonings from squishy laundry detergent packets called pods have landed more than 700 U.S. children in the hospital in just two years.
An analysis of poison center data for 2012 and 2013 shows that there were more than 17,000 poison center calls about the products involving children younger than 6.
Most children weren’t seriously harmed. But some of those who were hospitalized suffered seizures and some fell into a coma. One even died last year.
“Laundry detergent pods are small, colorful, and may look like candy or juice to a young child,” said Marcel J. Casavant, MD, Central Ohio Poison Center. “It can take just a few seconds for children to grab them, break them open, and swallow the toxic chemicals they contain, or get the chemicals in their eyes.”
The analysis is in today’s Pediatrics online.