Ice poses challenge for Dayton firefighters

Fire on Smithville Rd. (WDTN photo)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Dayton firefighters battled the cold and flames early Wednesday.

They say someone inside an apartment building in the 3100 block of Smithville Rd. left grease on the stove, which sparked the fire. That resident alerted his neighbors and everyone made it out safely.

Firefighters told us the cold temperatures posed more of a challenge than the fire itself.

“The biggest problem we have with fires like this is just the ice on the ground and slipping and falling. We’re not quite at the temperatures yet where we have equipment freezing. If we’re out here for long periods of time, we have issues with the equipment freezing up,” said Captain Fred Marx with the Dayton Fire Department.

The fire was contained to the unit where it started. The building does have working smoke detectors.

One man was given oxygen at the scene.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s