NEW LEBANON, Ohio (WDTN) – The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has confirmed the man involved in a mobile home fire has died.
Crews responded to 808 South Clayton Street in New Lebanon just after 6:00 a.m. Monday.
New Lebanon Fire Chief, George Markus, says a couple in their sixties were pulled from the home suffering from smoke inhalation.
Police officers are credited with pulling two fire victims from a burning mobile home.
The woman was taken to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment. Her condition is not yet known.
Crews are still investigating, but the fire chief says it appears the fire was started by a portable heater that was too close to flammable materials.
According to Markus, the couple didn’t have smoke detectors in the trailer.
“More than likely had there been an active smoke detector and had these people been able to get to the door, that’s a strong possibility that at the very least they could’ve minimized injury.”