Anthem to launch free protection Friday

A man walks past health insurer Anthem's corporate headquarters in Indianapolis, Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015. Hackers broke into the company's database storing information for about 80 million people in an attack bound to stoke fears many Americans have about the privacy of their most sensitive information. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
A man walks past health insurer Anthem's corporate headquarters in Indianapolis, Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015. Hackers broke into the company's database storing information for about 80 million people in an attack bound to stoke fears many Americans have about the privacy of their most sensitive information. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

WALLINGFORD & HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Anthem says it is ready to give you free credit and identity protection starting on Friday. It comes after a push from the state Attorney General to move faster.

It’s been one week since Anthem informed Connecticut state leaders about the big security breach and reluctantly agreed to provide two years of security protection to affected Connecticut residents. Anthem says it’s been working with a vendor that is quickly making the necessary preparations to provide credit monitoring and identity theft protection to the millions affected by the attack. Very high demand is expected when the service goes live on Friday on the Anthem facts website that was established last week.

For frequently asked questions regarding Anthem’s cyber attack, click here.

The announcement comes in response to a letter from Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen, D-Conn., and attorneys general from several other states.

“In response to the letter that I and nine other attorneys general from around the country sent to them yesterday that they have confirmed that Friday is the date that you’ll be able to sign up online,” said Jepsen.

The Governor again praised Anthem’s original speed in getting the story out, but said more communication will be needed.

“I think they need to spend time on-the-air or in the newspapers communicating some additional information,” said Gov. Dannel Malloy, D-Conn.

Even though over the weekend Anthem indicated that it was possible not all 1.14 million Connecticut members are affected by the breach, the Attorney General says it is everybody.

“Pretty much everybody who has Anthem Blue Cross, even it you had and dropped it in the last five years, will be affected to one degree or another we believe,” said Jepsen.

Also, the new leadership of the State Senate announced Wednesday that they will quickly move forward with a new law requiring healthcare companies to encrypt their data.

“Current encription technology can limit the amount of data that even authorized users caN use and view, one at a time, making it more difficult to compromise massive amounts of data,” said Majority Leader Sen. Bob Duff, D-Norwalk.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s