Furnace flue blamed for deadly poisoning in Troy

Emergency personnel from Troy police, fire and EMS work to save four victims, all reportedly children, of possible carbon monoxide poisoning that were found at 114 S. Elm Street in Troy on Friday afternoon. (Photo/Mike Ullery)

TROY, Ohio (WDTN) – Fire officials believe a flue pipe did not function properly at the home where four children were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

Three of the children died. One remains hospitalized in critical condition.

Assistant Fire Chief Matthew Simmons told reporters the flue did not properly vent the odorless gas.

The children felt ill for days. They lived with their grandmother, who was hospitalized with pneumonia.

A 13-year-old girl and her 14-year-old sister died as did their 13-year-old cousin. The cousin’s 8-year-old brother remains hospitalized at Dayton Children’s Hospital.

Counselors have been on hand to assist classmates through the tragedy.

The property owners of the house in Troy say they were not aware of any furnace issues at the South Elm Street house.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s