WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WDTN) – Vectren and fire crews have cleared residents to return to their homes after a gas leak in Washington Township.
Fire crews evacuated some homes after the main break late Thursday afternoon.
It happened just before 5 o’clock in the area of the 200 block of Summerford Place.
That’s just south of State Route 48 and Social Row Road.
Dispatchers say a 4-inch gas main broke at a newly constructed home by a construction crew.
Bina Shaw, who lives in the area says she noticed something was wrong right away.
“When I came home I smelled gas. I didn’t know what that was. I thought it was my car at first. And then I saw the fire engines and all that stuff,” said Shaw.
Vectren crews were on the scene, working to repair the leak. Fire crews evacuated about 25-30 people from nearby homes.
“Along the east coast there’s been several home explosions from gas leaks. So it’s certainly something we have on our minds is preventing that from happening,” said Captain Joel Holbrook. Washington township fire department. “So that’s part of the reason if we evacuate the house then we lesson our chances of somebody flipping a light switch, starting a car, doing something that could potentially ignite the gas.”
Dispatchers tell us the people were cleared to return after having been displaced.
No illnesses have been reported.