BUTLER TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WDTN) – Carbon Monoxide makes the headlines again. Children at a daycare in Butler Township were exposed to the toxic gas Monday morning.
The Butler Township Fire Department responded to Grandma’s Child Development Center on North Dixie Drive.
They found high levels of Carbon Monoxide when they got there.
One adult and three children were taken to the hospital to get checked out, but fire crews say everyone got out before they felt too sick.
The Butler Township Fire Department Captain said the daycare did not have a CO detector in the building.
“CO basically keeps the oxygen from entering the blood cells and so at a high concentration up around 400 for 15 minutes can be lethal. Anything below that you start having flu like symptoms,” said Captain Mike Blakesly.
2 NEWS Investigates looked into Ohio law to see what’s required of the places taking care of your kids.
We found it’s not very consistent.
According to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, which oversees and inspects daycare centers, a publicly funded child care center must have a CO detector in the basement and on every floor where the children might be.
But here’s where the law changes.
The larger, in-home providers or the one’s like Grandma’s Child Development Center are not required to.
When we reached out to the Job and Family Services about the requirements, we were told they are considering changing that and it could happen later this year. We’ll keep you updated when and if that happens.