DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — Many pools are opening in time for the Memorial Day weekend and that means its time to remember the important swim safety tips provided to Five on 2 by the Dayton Area Red Cross.
Nick Gill is a swim instructor who helped walk us through the 5 things all swimmers and parents should keep in mind during the summer season. They include:
1. Swim in a designated area supervised by lifeguards.
2. Maintain constant supervision. Never leave a child unattended near water-not even for a minute. It takes less time than that to drown. And do not trust a child’s life to another child. Also, teach children to always ask permission to go near water.
3. Make sure everyone in your family can swim well. Enroll them in Red Cross swim lessons.
4. Have the appropriate equipment at your pool to be able to reach or throw in case of an emergency. Have a cell phone, first aid kit and life jacket available. Also, learn CPR and resuscitation breathing, and download the Red Cross emergency and first aid apps.
5. Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket around water, but do not rely on life jackets alone.