POWHATAN, Va. (WRIC) – A Powhatan woman says she’s heartbroken and shocked after she says her dog died while being groomed at an area Petco on Saturday.
The incident happened at the Westchester Commons location.
Allison Marks came to pick up her 2-year-old golden retriever from his appointment and found him dead. She said a veterinarian told her Colby Jack died from a heat stroke. Marks believes the groomer washed her dog, then left him inside a heated cage dryer for an extended period.
“It’s like losing a child,” said Marks. “I don’t want anyone else to go through what I’m going through.”
Petco released the following statement on May 31″
All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”
Petco said the groomer who was in charge at the time of the incident has been suspended.
Chesterfield County Animal Control is investigating.