DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – The Fourth of July holiday is a time to celebrate, but it is also a time to keep an extra eye on your pets.
Many animals are frightened by fireworks. They often panic and run away.
The Montgomery County Animal Resource Center has some important advice on how to keep Fido and Fluffy safe:
- Resist the urge to take your pets with you to celebrate Independence Day. Public fireworks displays can be frightening to your pets. Let them stay home in a quiet, safe, escape-proof area.
- For pets bothered by loud noises, keep them inside in a quiet room with no windows. Background music playing can help calm them.
- Keep matches & lighter fluid out of pets’ reach. Certain matches contain chlorates which can damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing.
- Keep picnic foods away from pets as they can cause intestinal problems.
- Make sure your pets always wear collars with current licenses tags and pet identification.
- If your pet is lost or you find a stray, call the Animal Resource Center at 898-4457 and select option #1.