SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (WDTN) – The former Springfield High School officially has a new name.
The Springfield Board of Education approved the name for the historic building as the Springfield Center of Innovation: The Dome.
A committee of alumni, community members and district employees reviewed names submitted by community members. It reviewed more than 70 submissions to arrive at their selection.
The building at 700 South Limestone Street is easily recognized by its huge dome. It was built back in 1909. It was known as Springfield High School until 1961 when it became Springfield South High School. It closed in 2008 when a new high school was open.
The new building will serve as a teaching and learning center. The Dome will house teaching activities that will help prepare students for successful transitions to college, careers and civic engagement.
A grand opening ceremony will be held August 6.