New video released in unsolved Boston art museum heist

This March 18, 1990 still image from surveillance video released by the U.S. Attorney’s Office on Thursday, August 6, 2015, shows an unauthorized visitor walking inside the rear entrance of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. Robbers stole more than a dozen works of art at the museum the next night. Twenty-five years later, the artwork, worth approximately $500 million, remains missing and no has been charged in the heist. (AP via Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum/U.S. Attorney’s Office)
In this March 18, 1990 still image from surveillance video released by the U.S. Attorney's Office,Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015, an unauthorized visitor walks inside the rear entrance of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. Robbers stole more than a dozen works of art at the museum about 24 hours later. Twenty five years later, the artwork remains missing and no one has ever been charged in the heist. (Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum/U.S. Attorney's Office via AP)

BOSTON (AP/WISH) – 25years after the famed art heist at Boston’s Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, law enforcement officials released new surveillance video Thursday showing an unauthorized visitor entering the museum the night before the robbery.

Authorities hope the never before seen video will spark leads to help recover the 13 pieces of stolen artwork, worth at least $500 million.

The low-resolution video – captured by museum security cameras – shows a security guard appearing to hit an intercom button, then to grant access to a man who can be seen in the museum’s reception area at about 12:49 a.m. on March 17, 1990, almost exactly 24 hours before the heist.

The man is also seen getting out of a car matching the general description of one reported to be parked outside the museum minutes before the theft. He uses the same rear entrance as the thieves, according to the office of U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, which released the video.

The stolen artwork includes Vermeer’s “The Concert” and Rembrandt’s “The Storm on the Sea of Galilee.”

“Over many months we have engaged in an exhaustive re-examination of the original evidence in this case. Our aim has been to ensure that all avenues have been explored in the continuing quest to recover these artworks,” Ortiz said in a prepared statement.

Ortiz said officials are hoping the public may be able to help authorities identify the unauthorized visitor or the car seen in the video.

“I’m very hopeful that it will generate information that can lead us back to our paintings,” said Anthony Amore, the museum’s director of security.

The similar circumstances of what’s shown on the video and what happened the night of the robbery – including the man entering through the same rear door as the thieves – have raised questions about whether the man was practicing for the actual robbery.

Ortiz said in an interview that the theory of a dry run for the robbery “makes sense,” but is only speculation at this point.

“The speculation is with reason, but we don’t have any specific information that that’s what happened,” she said.

A $5 million reward has been offered by the museum for information that leads to the recovery of the stolen artwork in good condition.

Authorities have repeatedly said that on March 18, 1990, two white men dressed in Boston police uniforms gained entrance to the museum by telling the security guard at the watch desk that they were responding to a report of a disturbance.

Against museum policy, the guard allowed the men into the museum. The thieves handcuffed the museum’s two guards on duty and put them in separate areas of the museum’s basement.

No weapons were seen during the robbery and no panic button was activated. The video surveillance footage from the night of the robbery was taken by the thieves.

No one has ever been charged in the heist.

In 2013, authorities said investigators believe they know who the thieves were, but they would not identify them.

They said the robbers belonged to a criminal organization based in New England and the mid-Atlantic states and took the art to Connecticut and the Philadelphia region in the years after the theft. They were offered for sale in Philadelphia about a decade ago and have not been seen since, the FBI said at the time. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s