Electrocuted Miami County man identified

West Milton police, fire, and rescue personnel work at the scene of an electrocution on Locust Lane in their village late Tuesday night. (Photo: Mike Ullery)

WEST MILTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Investigators say a 65-year-old man died when he was electrocuted outside his home in West Milton Tuesday night.

The man killed has been identified by the Montgomery County Coroner as 65-year-old Dale Mehaffey. The specific cause of death is still being determined.

It happened just before 11 p.m. on Locust Lane. Investigators say a transformer blew which caught the man’s truck tire on fire.

Officials say Mehaffey went to investigate and that’s when he was electrocuted by a live wire. Investigators estimate 7200 volts were running through the wire at the time.

Investigators say when they arrived they found Mehaffey lying on a power line but couldn’t reach him until Dayton, Power & Light responded to the scene to turn off the power.

Police say the man’s wife witnessed the tragedy and police had to keep her away from the scene until it was safe.

2 NEWS reached out to DP&L for safety tips and received the following information:

Dayton Power and Light’s top priority is the safety of our customers and our crews, especially when power lines are down.

We traditionally start to see issues with wind gusts exceeding 40 mph. 

The most common problems occur when tree limbs hit power lines or uprooted trees fall on lines. Objects of any kind flying or falling onto power lines can cause outages.

All traffic accidents are hazardous, but when an accident involves a utility pole there is an added danger from downed power lines.

Know what to do if this happens to you. If you hit a utility pole:

  • For a life-threatening emergency, call 911.
  • Notify DP&L of lines that are down by calling 877-4OUTAGE (877-468-8243).
  • Customers should assume all fallen wires are live. Never touch a fallen line.
  • Stay at least ten feet away from downed lines and keep children and pets away.
  • If you are cleaning up after storm damage, do not remove tree limbs near downed lines until DP&L crews have repaired the damage.
  • Do not drive over fallen lines.

If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed power line, stay inside. The ground around you may be energized and you could be injured if you try to get out.

  • Honk your horn, use your cellphone or roll down the window and call for help.
  • Alert others to stay away from your vehicle until emergency crews arrive to avoid anyone else being injured. Emergency crews will tell you when it’s safe to get out of your car.

If you encounter an accident involving a car hitting a utility pole:

  • Never approach a vehicle that is touching power lines; instead call 911 immediately.
  • Remain a safe distance away, keep the passengers in the vehicle calm and wait for emergency personnel to handle the situation.

When traffic accidents involve utility poles, many homes in the nearby area will be without power for a time. If you see an accident involving a utility pole in your area and you are without power, please be patient. Emergency personnel notify DP&L right away and steps are immediately taken to restore power once the area around the accident has been secured.

Before a Severe Storm

Have a plan in the event of a power outage, including a place to stay if your home is without power for a prolonged time period.

If your home requires electric to provide water, make sure you have an ample supply available for a prolonged outage.

We encourage our customers who have medical equipment in their homes to have a back-up plan if the power goes out.

Have a storm kit with

  • battery-operated or wind-up emergency radio
  • water
  • flashlights and batteries
  • first aid kit
  • blankets

Unplug sensitive and expensive electronics prior to severe storms to prevent damage.

If Flooding Occurs in your Area

  • If homes and businesses are flooded, it may not be possible to safely restore power until waters recede.
  • Residents in flooded areas should contact their local EMA to locate a shelter or try to stay with relatives or friends who are in unaffected areas.

During a Power Outage

Report a power outage by calling DP&L:  877-4OUTAGE (877-468-8243) or onlinewww.dpandl.com/report . You can also check our online outage map (www.dpandl.com/map).

Be very careful using

  • candles
  • portable heaters, such as kerosene
  • generators

o   One of the most important precautions is to ensure that you have proper ventilation for a generator.

  1. Generators should not be used indoors or in a garage (even your porch is too close to the house)
  2. Follow all manufacturers’ instructions and think safety first

Be careful with perishable food.  If you keep your refrigerator door closed:

  • a refrigerator will stay safely cold for about 4 hours
  • a full freezer – 48 hours (24 hours half full)

If the power goes out, turn off and unplug.

  • Go through your home when the power goes out and make sure that all heat-producing appliances (e.g., ovens, ranges, toasters, curling irons and other appliances) are turned off or disconnected from a source of electricity so that when power is restored your home is safe from accidental fires.
  • Make sure nothing flammable, such as papers or mail, is on top of your electric range in case a burner was accidentally turned on.

Stay clear from DP&L crews while they work.

  • For the safety of our crews and for your own safety

Tips for Weathering the Storm: What to do before, during and after an outage

The National Weather Service says that because water pipes conduct electricity, you should not take a bath or shower or use other plumbing during a storm. DP&L advises you that the best protection is to unplug electronics prior to severe storms to prevent damage. Avoid touching electrical cords while lightning is near your home and do not use your “corded” land-line telephone.

 

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s