DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton (8-0, 5-0) jumped out to an early lead and coasted to a 31-14 victory over Jacksonville University (6-2, 3-2) on Saturday afternoon at Welcome Stadium.
Dayton posted 17 points in the second quarter, and took a 24-0 lead into the locker room at the halftime break.
The win keeps the Flyers unbeaten on the season, with an overall record of 7-0 and a Pioneer Football League mark of 4-0.
With the victory, UD improves to 8-0 on the season for the first time in 14 years.
- Dayton notched the first score of the game thanks to a one-yard Alex Jeske bootleg rush in the first quarter.
- Jeske was able to find Tyler Tumpane for a 7-yard connection to give the Flyers a 14-0 lead early in the second quarter.
- Kicker William Will drilled a 29-yard field goal to extend the UD lead to 17-0.
- Jimmy Vogel dove on a Jeske fumble on an option play to push the Dayton lead to 24-0 in the first half.
- Tucker Yinger broke through the line for a 40-yard touchdown for the only UD score in the second half, increasing the lead to 31-0
- Jacksonville’s backup QB Rylan Wells connected on a 39-yard pass with Brian Burnett to ruin the shutout hopes for UD, making the score 31-7 as time expired in the third quarter.
- The Dolphins added an 84-yard strike in the fourth quarter from Wells to Damien Strange to bring the game to its final score of 31-14.
- Jeske threw for 180 yards and a touchdown on an extremely efficient 20-for-23 on the afternoon.
- The redshirt freshman connected on 11-straight passes to open up the game, a personal best for the Glen Ellyn, Ill. native.
- Sophomore Tyler Tumpane led Dayton with seven receptions while collecting 31 yards.
- Yinger, a redshirt freshman, led the Flyers with a career-high 122 rushing yards and a touchdown.
- The Flyers’ defense had an interception, fumble recovery, two sacks and recorded nine tackles for loss against the PFL’s leader in total offense.
- Solon, Ohio native Cory Stuart had five receptions for 62 yards, marking the 21st consecutive game with a reception for the redshirt senior.
- Jack Euritt added four receptions for 39 yards and averaged 9.8 yards per catch
- Jack Crain led UD in tackles for the game, finishing the afternoon with 10 total takedowns.
- Nate Sudnick had 1.5 sacks in the game.
- William Will had converted on 11-consecutive field goals before missing a 42-yard attempt into the wind wide left in the third quarter.
- Jacksonville’s Kade Bell, who came into the game as the top passer in the PFL, was held to just 143 yards and an interception.
- Christian Searles picked up his third interception of the season with a key end zone pick in the second quarter.
- UD has not been shut out in an FCS-record 439 straight games, the best such active string in all of college football.
- Dayton is the only remaining team in the Pioneer Football League with an unblemished record.
- The win snaps a three-game losing streak to Jacksonville and improves the Flyers’ record against the Dolphins to 4-4.
- Oddly, JU’s four have have been by an average of 6.0 points, while Dayton’s four victories have been by an average of 31.8.
- The Flyers have now won 10 straight games dating back to the 2014 season.
- The Flyers head to Kentucky to take on Morehead State on Saturday, November 7th for a 1 p.m. ET matchup with the Eagles.
- First place in the PFL will be at stake as Morehead comes into the game with a 4-1 league record.
- Dayton returns to Welcome Stadium Saturday, November 14th for the final home game of the season with Marist College coming to town for a 1 p.m. ET start time.