DAYTON, Ohio – The Dayton Flyers got a season-high 21 points from Charles Cooke Tuesday afternoon leading the way to an 80-48 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide at UD Arena.
The game was part of the nationally-televised ESPN Tip-Off Marathon, while 12,118 Flyer Faithful cheered UD on to victory, marking the 24th consecutive win in the friendly confines of UD Arena.
• Alabama held a two-point advantage (18-16) at the midway point of the first half, but Dayton outscored the visitors 24-6 over the final 10 minutes of the period.
• For the second straight game, the Flyers forced double-digit (10) first-half turnovers.
• Dayton’s largest lead of the game was 34 points, coming after a highlight-reel slam dunk on a beautiful freshman-to-freshman connection from John Crosby to Xeyrius Williams.
• The defensive effort was strong all afternoon, with the Flyers holding the Crimson Tide to just 30% (17-for-57) from the floor and 25% (5-for-20) from behind the arc.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Ten Flyers reached the scoring column on the afternoon.
• Cooke was joined in double-figures by Scoochie Smith (15), Steve McElvene (13), and Darrell Davis (10).
• A closer look into Cooke’s performance: he shot 6-for-9 overall and 2-for-3 from downtown, while going a perfect 7-for-7 at the charity stripe. He also added seven rebounds, three assists, two blocks and a steal.
• Dayton shot 47% (28-for-60) from the floor and 43% (9-for-21) from behind the three-point line. Smith led the way with three triples for the game.
• The Flyers went a perfect 9-of-9 from the free-throw line in the first half.
• Adding to the defensive performance were McElvene and Cooke, who each came away with two blocks and were a constant disruption on shots in the paint.
Dayton welcomes William & Mary to UD Arena on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. for the final home game of the month of November.