DAYTON, Ohio – The Dayton Flyers fell to the Chattanooga Mocs 61-59 on Saturday night at UD Arena. The loss snaps Dayton’s 26 game home win streak. It was the Flyers’ first loss at home since being defeated by St. Joseph’s 60-57 on Jan. 29, 2014.
- Dayton led 8-6 with 13:44 to play in the first half, but Chattanooga responded with a three point basket to take the lead.
- The Flyers never held a lead for the rest of the first half.
- Both teams struggled offensively early in the first half, as neither team reached double digits until Chattanooga took an 11-8 lead with 11:15 remaining in the half.
- The Mocs led 27-19 with 5:31 to play in the first half, which turned out to be their largest lead of the game.
- Dayton went on a 5-0 run at the end of the half, but a Chattanooga basket allowed the Mocs to take a 29-24 going into the break.
- Early in the second half, the Flyers went on a 13-2 run to take a 37-31 lead.
- The run was sparked by Kyle Davis who scored seven points in the first four minutes of the second half.
- Chattanooga came back from this deficit with two quick three point baskets to tie the game 46-46 with less than nine minutes to play.
- The Mocs took a 55-53 lead with 3:46 to play, when Greg Pryor made his three point attempt.
- The away team extended their lead to 59-55, but a layup by Charles Cooke brought the Flyers within two.
- Moments later, Cooke converted a free throw to bring the Flyers within one, 59-58.
- With just 31 seconds to play, Kendall Pollard tied the game at 59-59 on a free throw.
- Chattanooga’s Greg Pryor was fouled going to the basket with five seconds left, and he converted two free throws to seal the game for the Mocs.
- Kendall Pollard led the home team with 20 points.
- Kyle Davis added 10 points.
- Steve McElvene recorded six points, seven rebounds and a career-high five blocks.
- Scoochie Smith had nine points and seven assists.
- Leading scorer Charles Cooke was held to seven points, but he had six rebounds, four assists and two blocked shots.
- Dayton was held scoreless in the first half for more than four minutes.
- Chattanooga had 22 bench points overall, compared to the home team’s seven.
- The Flyers made just one three-point basket in the first half.
- Dayton shot 50% from the floor, but just 23% from the three point line.
- UD shot 26 free throws, but finished the game 14 of 26 (54%) from the free throw line.
- Chattanooga shot 47% from the three point line during the game.
- UTC outrebounded the Flyers 33-30.
- Chattanooga’s Greg Pryor led the Mocs with 15 points.
- Nine Chattanooga players scored in the game
After exam week, Dayton will host the Furman Paladins on Saturday, Dec. 19 at 7:00 p.m.