DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team defeated George Washington 77-70 Friday night behind a season-high 26 points behind senior Dyshawn Pierre. The Flyers are now 14-3 on the season and 4-1 in Atlantic 10 action while George Washington falls to 14-4 overall and 3-2 in league play.
- George Washington held UD scoreless for the first three minutes of play. However, Flyer senior, Dyshawn Pierre had enough. The 6’6″ forward scored Dayton’s first eight points including two 3-pointers.
- Neither team could shake each other in the first half. There were seven lead changes with Dayton leading the half for 8:16, and George Washington leading for 9:20.
- The first half ended with Dayton in the lead, 35-34. Pierre ended the first half just as he started it, sinking a three-pointer at the buzzer.
- The second period was back and forth between the two Atlantic-10 powerhouses with 19 total lead changes. They remained within four points of each other until Dayton took the lead for good on a Kyle Davis fast break layup with 6:32 to go, followed by a Dyshawn Pierre three-pointer at the 4:02 mark to make it 66-61.
- UD would keep it a two-possession game until George Washington cut it to three three times in the final 1:49.
- The Flyers would have an answer all three times. Steve McElvene hit a pair of free throws with 1:37 to go. Charles Cooke would come through with an old-fashioned three-point-play with 46 seconds left and Dyshawn Pierre hit two freebies with 19 seconds in the game.
- Scoochie Smith iced the game with a pair of free throws with nine ticks left on the clock.
- Dyshawn Pierre led UD with his season high of 26 points, including five threes. He also had five rebounds and two assists. Pierre shot 7-11 FG, 5-9 from 3-pt. and 7-7 FT.
- The 26 points were one off his career high.
- Charles Cooke added 15 points, three rebounds, two blocks and two steals.
- Off the bench, Steve McElvene was also in double-digit scoring with 12 points in 26 minutes. He also had six rebounds and two blocks.
- Scoochie Smith had nine points, seven assists and four steals.
- UD shot 26-61 (42.6 percent) from the field with only six turnovers while forcing 15 turnovers for the Colonials.
- The Flyers were 16 of 17 from the line (94.1%), including 15 of 16 in the second half.
- UD finished the game on a 20-9 run over the last eight minutes.
- Dayton has now won its last 16 Atlantic 10 home games, and 32 of its last 33 home games overall.
- The Flyers have won the last seven games played at the Arena against GW.
- Dayton will travel to New York to play St. Bonaventure on Tuesday, January 19 at 7 p.m. ET at Reilly Center.