Parents worried after fatal crash involving school bus

A 21-year-old woman died after slamming into a Milton-Union bus head on while driving westbound on Ohio State Route 55. (WDTN, Jake Ryle)

WEST MILTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Miami County Sheriff’s Office reports 21-year-old Taylor Dickey was behind the wheel when the 2002 Chevrolet Caviler she was driving slammed head on into a Milton-Union bus full of children, Thursday.

West Milton school officials have provided counseling to make sure all students are okay after witnessing such a major trauma.

Parents 2 NEWS spoke with are concerned.

“I had a friend her children were on that bus and it was worrisome,” parent, Mimi Hamlin said. “I don’t know. You just, you never know so it’s just very sad and tragic.”

West Milton grandfather, Gary Church echoed Hamlin’s sentiment.

“These kind of things have a great effect on our children in the schools today and they tend to suffer a lot when they have things like this happen and try to understand and grasp what’s going on,” Church explained.

Many parents believe it’s a miracle no children were seriously injured.

Shortly before 7:00 Thursday morning, officials responded to a crash report of a car going westbound on Ohio State Route 55 near Kessler-Frederick Road.

Dickey was pronounced dead on the scene.

The bus was carrying middle school and high school students.

At least six children were hospitalized with minor injuries, but the West Milton Superintendent tells 2 NEWS a majority, if not all, of those kids have since been released. Those involved in the crash who weren’t injured went home with their parents.

Administration is praising the bus driver for how she handled the crash.

The West Milton High School principal told 2 NEWS the woman did a, “great job keeping the kids safe.”

The Miami County Sheriff’s Office says the bus driver could not have done anything differently, but that still doesn’t change the fact that she and many students are deeply affected by this crash.

“For the children to have to go through this, it’s a very traumatic experience for all involved,” Chief Deputy Dave Duchak said. “We’re thankful that at least (sic) no one was injured on the school bus.”

Chief Deputy Duchak tells 2 NEWS that it could take his team several days, even weeks, to complete their accident investigation.

Results from a toxicology report are expected back in 6 to 8 weeks. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s