MIAMISBURG, Ohio (WDTN) – A family’s 12-year-old son was charging his hoverboard for the very first time in the family’s livingroom Wednesday.
It happened just after 4 p.m. on Eagle Mountain Drive in Miamisburg.
The family says after about 15 minutes, it exploded and began smoking. That’s when they threw it outside and doused their floor in the living room with water from an outside hose.
Batteries from the unit could be found all over the front porch of the house, as well as throughout the living room.
The family says they purchased the hoverboard on Amazon.
Fire officials say there wasn’t much for them to do once they got on scene, as the family had already taken action. The family says they’re just thankful they were home – they say it could have burned down the house if it weren’t for their monitoring.
There were no reported injuries in this case.