The agent for Johnny Manziel has dropped the troubled quarterback as a client

Johnny Manziel
Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel reacts after being selected by the Cleveland Browns as the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, Thursday, May 8, 2014, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)


CLEVELAND (AP) — Johnny Manziel has lost another close ally.

The troubled quarterback was dropped by his NFL agent Friday following two police investigations in Texas last weekend. Erik Burkhardt released a statement saying that with “deep regret” he has ended his business relationship with Manziel, who will be released by the Cleveland Browns next month.

Burkhardt said he made his decision after “several emotional and very personal discussions with his family, his doctors, and my client himself.”

“Though I will remain a friend and Johnny supporter, and he knows I have worked tirelessly to arrange a number of professional options for him to continue to pursue, it has become painfully obvious that his future rests solely in his own hands,” the agent said in a statement.

“His family and I have gone to great lengths to outline the steps we feel he must take to get his life in order. Accountability is the foundation of any relationship, and without it the function of my work is counterproductive. I truly wish the best for Johnny and sincerely hope he can, and will, find the kind of peace and happiness he deserves.”

Manziel was under police investigation for allegedly hitting ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley. She told police the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M struck her “several times” at a Dallas hotel and later when they drove back to her apartment in Fort Worth. The police departments in both cities said Thursday their investigations are closed.

Burkhardt isn’t the first to end business ties with Manziel. Cavaliers star LeBron James’ marketing agency ended its association with him last month.

James did not want to discuss the 23-year-old player’s troubles following the team’s morning shootaround.

“I’ve already voiced my opinion on his situation,” James said. “I’m not going to do it again. I think that’s the last thing I need to be talking about is his incidents. That doesn’t make it any better. I wasn’t there. I don’t know what happened, so who am I to say he was right or he was wrong? I wasn’t there.”

On Tuesday, the Browns released a strong statement in which the team indicated it will release Manziel as early as March 9, when the league begins its new calendar year.

Also, the league is looking into whether Manziel violated its personal-conduct policy. League spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday the inquiry is “ongoing.” Manziel was cleared of any wrongdoing last year after he and Crowley got into a heated roadside argument near the player’s home.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s