SOUTHGATE, Mich. (AP) — A company that owns a Detroit-area fast food restaurant says glass from a broken light bulb may have gotten into a child’s burger.
WXYZ-TV reports a woman brought her 3-year-old daughter to a Wendy’s in Southgate on Monday and heard an unusual crunching sound when the child bit into the burger. Police were called and the girl was taken to a hospital.
According to a police report, a manager told officers that glass was broken in a back area where food is prepared.
Starboard Group, which owns the restaurant, said in a statement: “This is an extremely unfortunate accident and we quickly investigated.” The company said “it appears a light bulb may have broken during maintenance activity in the restaurant.”
The station says the child is recovering at home.