NICE, France (AP) — France’s justice minister says that the man who drove a truck through crowds at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice, killing at least 84 people, had a record of petty crime but nothing matching the seriousness of Thursday night’s rampage.
Jean-Jacques Urvoas told reporters in Paris that Mohamed Bouhlel “was at the center of several procedures but was sentenced for only one incident” earlier this year.
He said Bouhlel was placed on probation after throwing a wooden pallet at another driver during a confrontation.
The minister said Bouhlel was handed a suspended sentence since he had never been convicted. He was under the obligation of presenting himself at a Nice police station once a week and posting bail. He respected these obligations rigorously.”He was under the obligation of presenting himself at a Nice police station once a week and posting bail.