(WDTN) – If it seems like you spend a lot of time driving, you’re right.
A new study from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety shows Americans are spending hundreds of hours in their car each year, driving thousands of miles.
The study shows drivers spend more than 293 hours each year behind the wheel, driving nearly 11,000 miles.
Those numbers are even higher in the Midwest, where drivers cover an average of 11,296 miles each year, as opposed to Northeast drivers, who drive an average of 9,328 miles annually.
“The amount of time the average driver spends behind the wheel each year is equivalent to seven 40-hour weeks at the office,” says Jurek Grabowski, research director for the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
U.S. drivers covered about 2.45 trillion miles in 2015, up 2.4 percent from 2014.
Other survey findings show that:
- More than 50 percent of miles driven by Americans are done in cars, followed by SUVs (20 percent), pickup trucks (17 percent) and vans (7.9 percent). Men report doing a much greater share of their driving in pickup trucks compared to women who report doing most of their driving in cars and SUVs.
- On average, men report driving 2,314 more miles than women per year and spend 18 percent more time behind the wheel.
- More than 86 percent of U.S. households have at least one car for every driver in the home and 28 percent report having more cars than drivers.
- Seniors over the age of 75 drive fewer miles (5,840 annually) than teenagers (7,551 annually). Drivers ages 30-49 drive an average of 13,506 miles annually, more than any other age group.
- On average, Americans drive the most during the fall (October through December) at 31.5 miles daily and drive the least during the winter (January through March) at 26.2 miles daily.
The new survey results are part of the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety’s annual American Driving Survey, which reveals the driving habits of the American public. The survey data are from a sample of 5,774 drivers who provided information about their daily driving trips in calendar years 2014 and 2015. The AAA Foundation released their first American Driving Survey in 2015.