(KRON) — A disturbing game that kids have been playing for decades has appeared again.
It is called the Choking Game, and it recently claimed the life of an 11-year-old boy.
Now, that little boy’s family is hoping to share his story to help raise awareness about the game.
It has been one week since Garrett Pope Jr. was found dead.
His dad says he accidentally strangled himself.
The 11-year-old from South Carolina took the game too far, according to a Facebook post from his dad, who said he’s trying to educate parents about the trend.
high or feel euphoric for a moment or two.
Some kids hang themselves to do this. Others strangle each other.
According to the CDC, more than 80 kids have died playing the choking game over the past 20 years or so.
The website gaspinfo.com has lots of tips for parents.
Some warning signs for parents–you want to look for marks on their neck.
Also, maybe a sudden shift to turtlenecks or popped collars to hide marks.
Sudden bad headaches or blood-shot eyes can be effects of the game.
Items to help play the game include rope, belts, leashes, or items like that.
If your kid is really evasive when questioned about why they have them, it is a red flag.
And a thud sound in your children’s bebroom is also a red flag.