Kitchen fire damages Dayton home

House fire on Eastview Avenue in Dayton.
House fire on Eastview Avenue in Dayton.

DAYTON (WDTN) — Dayton firefighters worked quickly on Monday morning to put out a fire at a home on Eastview Avenue.

It happened in the 2300 block of Eastview around 1:30 a.m. on Monday. Fire officials say no one was home when the fire started.

District Fire Chief Rennes Bowers says the person living at the home left about an hour before the fire started. Bowers says the fire started in the kitchen, after the person left a burner on the stove on after cooking a meal.

Once firefighters identified the source of the fire, they were able to contain it quickly.

“They got in here pretty good,” Bowers said. “Fortunately, it was on this end and they were able to make a rapid advance on it and knock it down quickly.”

Bowers says the fire caused about $15,000 worth of damage to the house. Most of the smoke and fire damage was contained to the kitchen.

No one was injured. Due to smoke and electrical damage to the house, the residents won’t be able to stay there. The Red Cross was finding housing for the occupants.

While the fire is not considered suspicious, a fire investigator was coming to the scene to make a final determination. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s