Search is on for bone marrow match in Springboro to help high school football player battling cancer

Springboro and Springboro High School are rallying together to support a high school football player battling leukemia (WDTN Photo/Justin Kraus).
Springboro and Springboro High School are rallying together to support a high school football player battling leukemia (WDTN Photo/Justin Kraus).

SPRINGBORO, Ohio (WDTN) – The search is on for a bone marrow match in Springboro.  High school football player Mac Reese is tackling cancer and community members held a bone marrow drive Wednesday to help find a match.

According to Be the Match, over 30,000 people are diagnosed in the U.S. with life threatening blood diseases like leukemia every year. For many patients, a bone marrow transplant is their only chance at survival.

His classmates and community are making sure he doesn’t fight alone.

“Springboard is such a close community that I’m not surprised.  When things happen everyone kind of rallies together and help each other out,” Springboro High School graduate Bailey Webber said.

Just weeks ago the community rallied behind the high school senior going orange for leukemia awareness during a football game and hanging orange ribbons around town.

Leukemia being the most common childhood cancers and Reese having the rarest for of it, doctors say the 18-year-old will needs a bone marrow transplant as part of his treatment plan.  According to Be the Match, only 30% of patients find marching donors within their family.  The other 70% must search for unrelated donors.

“It’s very important to have a match for patients with cancer such as Leukemia because this might be the only chance for them for cure,” Dayton Children’s Hospital Dr. Ayman El-Sheikh said.

Family members told 2 NEWS all things considered, Mac is doing well.

“Mac is doing great.  You know he’s inspiring all of us.  He’s incredibly strong, positive, optimistic, so he’s dealing with things very well, all of the treatments, you know, but also all of the sacrifices that’s he’s making. He’s a young person that’s been faced with this adversity and he’s really Inspiring us all because he’s so strong.”

There will be a second bone marrow drive will be held Saturday at 10AM at the YMCA.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s