FULLERTON, Calif. – Five Dayton Flyers scored in double figures as UD earned an 84-74 win over the Portland Pilots in the second round of the Wooden Legacy.
Charles Cooke led Dayton with 20 points, while Scoochie Smith added 17 points and seven assists.
Kyle Davis broke through with 14 points, while Xeyrius Williams also added 14. Sam Miller tallied 10 points in a winning effort.
The victory snaps a two-game losing skid and improves Dayton’s record to 3-2 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Dayton shot 55.4 percent from the field and 45.5 percent from 3-point range (10 of 22).
- Dayton’s lead dwindled to seven points with 7:22 to play, but Williams scored five straight points to put the Flyers back in control.
- Cooke and Smith continue to drive the Flyer offense. Both have scored in double figures in every game this season.
- UD has won 27 straight games scoring 80-plus points.
- Portland kept the game close by hitting its first 21 free throws of the game. The Pilots finished the game 23 of 24 (96 percent) at the charity stripe.
- The Flyers have won 11 of their last 13 when Kyle Davis scores in double figures.
- Speaking of Davis, he came into the Portland game with 14 points total in his previous four contests.
Dayton will face the New Mexico Lobos on Sunday, Nov. 27 at 2 p.m. ET.