DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Cindy and Jim, the bald eagle pair that was the twinkle of the Five Metro Parks’ eye will be no more.
Cindy, the female bald eagle, died around 9 a.m. Wednesday after being electrocuted.
The eagle was carrying a stick for her nest, which was swollen with water. When Cindy was flying back with her stick, it made contact with electrical wires, killing her, according to a blog post by the Eastwood Eagle Watchers — shared by the Five Rivers MetroParks.
The post reads says it “will be difficult to watch (Jim) over the next several days and weeks as he waits for his mate’s return but eventually he will realize that she is not coming home this time.”
“Our local utility company has been pretty proactive in protecting our eagles by installing avian protection devices on many of the poles within the well field but the conductors between the poles are always an unseen threat to our eagles … I have often mentioned that the well field crews take the privacy and protection of their resident eagles very personally so I can only imagine the disappointment and the emotions that flooded their hearts as they realized that there was absolutely nothing that they could do. Grown men can cry too.”