What you should know before turning on your furnace

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Before you crank up the heat this weekend, officials are warning of the dangers to watch out for. As the weather starts to get colder, house fires become much more common.

Many times they’re caused by faulty furnaces and mobile heaters. Experts at Tanner Heating & Air are urging everyone to double check your furnace.

First, check the filter and make sure it’s not clogged. If it is, it can cause your furnace to overheat so be sure to change it. New filters cost about $7.

Also, check the batteries in all the thermostats in your home and make sure they are all in working order. If you’re heating your home with a mobile heater keep anything flammable out of sight.

Make sure your curtains, drapes and furniture aren’t nearby. Service Manager Shane Wiget says getting a yearly inspection of furnace is key.

“You could have things going on,” Wiget said. “Gas leaks and dirty flame sensors and carbon monoxide and things like that so it’s always recommended to have your furnace inspected by a certified person.”

If you don’t already, Wiget says be sure to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, especially in your bedroom and in case of any carbon monoxide leaks.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s