CENTERVILLE, Ohio (WDTN) — The Montgomery County Coroner says that Mary Atkinson, 68, died in a house fire in Centerville early on Tuesday morning.
According to a family friend, Mary’s husband remains in the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The fire started just before 4 a.m. on Tuesday in the first block of Coachman Drive.
A neighbor says the flames appeared to be located near a bedroom of the home.
Fire officials say a man escaped the home, but the woman was unable to get out.
According to a friend, the couple had five dogs, one was killed in the fire.
The man told firefighters he tried to find where the fire was in the house and put it out with an extinguisher. He said the flames became too intense, forcing him to escape the house.
The man told firefighters he thought the woman was already out of the house, before learning she did not get out.
Shocked area residents told 2 NEWS they couldn’t ask for better neighbors.
“These were the greatest folks you would want to live next to. They are the neighbors you want to have next door. You want to borrow a tool? They’d let you borrow a tool. She (Mary) was always out walking her dogs, volunteering and helping with pets,” said neighbor Nick Boerger,
The fire is under investigation.