Englewood Police release video of officer-involved shooting

This image from video released Monday by Englewood Police shows the suspect, Shelley Porter, moments before he struggled with a police officer and was shot and killed. (WDTN Photo)

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – The Englewood Police Department held a news conference Monday where the department released video of the officer-involved shooting that happened in a motel parking lot in February.

If you missed the news conference live you can watch it here:

Englewood Police Seargent Mike Lang said Monday Porter struggled with Officer Timothy Corcoran before the shooting.

In the video released Monday, Porter can be seen on the ground and then gets up while Officer Corcoran orders him to stay down. Porter continued to defy the orders of Corcoran and the officer is forced to use a Taser.

Porter continues to struggle and can be seen in the video nearly gaining control of the Taser. Lang said Porter could be seen reaching into his pocket where he had several rounds of ammunition and a semi-automatic handgun. Porter was shot by Corcoran and died.

On Friday, Montgomery County Prosecuting Attorney Mat Heck, Jr. said the Montgomery County Grand Jury declined to indict an Englewood Police Officer involved in the shooting death of Shelly Porter, III that happened on February 5, 2017, in the parking lot of the Englewood Inn.

The Prosecutor’s Office said the investigation was conducted by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation at the request of the Englewood Police Department.

On February 5, Englewood Police responded to a call from Motel 6 on North Main Street in Englewood that shots had been fired from a room rented by Shelly Porter, III.

Officers found both spent and unspent rounds in the motel room rented by Porter but did not find a firearm.

A search for Porter was conducted and eventually, an Englewood Police Officer located Porter in the parking lot of the Englewood Inn.

READ MORE: Suspect killed in Englewood officer-involved shooting has criminal history

Porter refused to comply with Officer Timothy Corcoran’s commands and the use of a Taser proved ineffective, according to Prosecutors. A physical fight then ensued. Porter pointed his firearm at Corcoran, who then discharged his duty weapon in self‐defense.

The Grand Jury considered all of the evidence from an extensive investigation of the matter, including testimony from both civilian and police witnesses. After consideration of all the testimony and evidence, the Grand Jury returned a no true bill, finding that the officer’s actions were legal under the circumstances.

2 NEWS is following this story and you can see the latest information starting tonight on FIVE ON 2.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s